With the increase of energy costs and companies’ growing awareness of their impact on the environment, reducing energy consumption and improving energy efficiency is becoming more important than ever in ensuring business sustainability. At Nexus Energy Solutions we specialise in providing businesses with a wide range of energy efficiency services, one of which is professional advice and issuing of Energy Performance Certificates. Our EPC London and EPC Glasgow teams are available to book online!
Does your business need an Energy Performance Certificate?
According to the Government energy legislations Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and contains information about the property’s energy use, typical energy costs and recommendations about how to reduce energy use and ultimately save money.
Since July 2011, landlords are obliged to provide EPC to potential buyers and tenants before the property is marketed for rent or sale, according to Scottish energy regulations. A further requirement is to display the EPC within the property, allowing the visitors to see the premises’ energy performance, which serve as an incentive for improvement.
What is included in an Energy Performance Certificate?
An EPC contains the details of your business, including address, property type, and date of inspection and the energy efficiency rating of the building. The certificate also provides estimated energy use, energy performance report and recommended measures to improve the standard of the premises.
How an Energy Performance Certificate will benefit your business?
- A greener property with good energy ratings is much more attractive to potential buyers or tenants. For your business an EPC serves as a proof of quality and energy efficiency, increasing the customers’ trust and improving your reputation in the market.
- Lower energy ratings and commercial EPC work for your business by increasing your property’s value and making your business more sustainable.
- Energy efficient properties are more likely to be let as a result of the higher economic value and lower costs for the tenants, which often results in tenants renting for longer periods.
- Improving the energy efficiency of your commercial property allows you to lease the premises at a higher price and increases the capital value of your business.
- A commercial EPC is official proof which states your business complies with current energy performance targets and efficiency levels.
- An EPC is also used in the application process for Government energy grants and loans or in Green Deal Finance which reduce your business energy costs.
- An EPC contains information about the property’s energy use, typical energy costs and recommendations about how to reduce energy use. This makes it an effective tool in lowering energy bills and saving money.
EPCs are becoming increasingly important for businesses as a result of the new Government energy legislation. It is proposed that by April 2018, leasing of commercial or residential premises that do not meet the efficiency energy standards will be prohibited. This legislation was published in the Energy Act 2011 and it is estimated that 18% of all commercial properties will be prohibited from being let unless they undergo refurbishment or upgrading to include energy efficient measures. Businesses who fail to comply with the legislation and do not provide energy ratings could be fined up to £5,000 depending on the value of their premises.
How can your business get an Energy Performance Certificate?
The Energy Performance Certificates can be issued only by accredited assessors and are valid for a period of 10 years. At Nexus Energy Solutions we offer Accredited EPC Survey at competitive prices, a free quote, professional support from our expert and experienced surveyors and a fast and flexible service. Contact us now and our fully qualified specialists will help you find the best solution to your business’ needs.